Sunday, June 13, 2010

Soul Searching on a Sunday

When I think about people who influenced me as a child, I always think of my pastor, Brother E. Richard Steel.  He wasn't just the man who stood behind the pulpit on Sunday's.  He wasn't someone that was "untouchable".  He was a pastor who served the Lord and the people.  He was always there to greet you, and as a child I remember thinking how neat it was that he seemed to know everyone's name.  He was always there to counsel with you when needed.  Growing up, I spoke with him several times about my feelings, my confusion and my desires.  I was never afraid of him.  He made himself available to everyone.  As a youth, I was corrected a time or two by him, DURING CHURCH!!  If we were talking, he was quick to point us out and let us know that we were disturbing him and others.  But he never held it against us.  Kids will be kids, but they needed to also know what was and wasn't acceptable.  His sermons were really good, and I appreciated them at a young age.  He didn't dance around, jump and shout, or pound the pulpit (well, maybe once or twice :) ), but he held your attention and you learned.  To me he was interesting and was able to show the connection between a book that was written long ago and present time.

I have wonderful memories of Brother Steel.  He taught me about salvation, he prayed with me as a accepted Christ into my life, he baptized me, he performed my wedding ceremony.  I am forever grateful. 

But truth be told, when I think of Brother Steel, one memory is always at the front of my mind...
I LOVED that he LOVED the hymn Victory in Jesus.  We sang that song in church all the time.  It was one of his favorite hymns, and it became one of mine too.  When I hear that song, my mind goes back to Cedar Bayou Baptist Church and Brother Steel.  My mind settles on the memories and love that I have for that time and place.  I feel thankful to have had a pastor who loved the Lord and his people.  A man who served in every way.  Then my mind focuses on the meaning of the song...I know why he loved it so.  We have victory through God and only through God.  He gave us such a wonderful gift...victory over evil.  And God gave me a wonderful gift, a wonderful introduction to who he is through Pastor E. Richard Steel.  May God continue to bless him and his family for generations. 

No comments: