Friday, June 11, 2010

TV, TV, and more TV

**********Update***********
This post is in no way meant to mean that I sit around (or the kids) all day and watch T.V.  I'm just saying that I like T.V. and enjoy unwinding with it at the end of the day and sometimes during Nate's nap time.  We aren't T.V. freaks...we would just be sad if we never got to see it.  :)

Let's talk about TV, television, the big black box...
I like TV.  I admit it...I am a TV watcher and proud of it!  The DVR is such a super, awesome invention!!  I'd be lying (big time) if I said that I only watch "quality television".  I like "trash tv" and some of you do too...I know you do! 


I like to catch a few episodes of The Real Housewives series and I also watch...wait for it...Toddlers and Tiaras.  I know, I know, but I can't stop watching it.  I am NOT a fan of little kid beauty pageants, but I really try not to judge parents who encourage their children to participate.  BUT, I'd be lying (once again) if I said that I didn't judge some of the parents that are clearly out of their minds.  The new season just began and the first 2 episodes put the entire last season to shame.  They are horrible. 
For example, one mom was talking about how she would never let her child show skin, dress provocative, dance sexy, etc.  While she was saying all of this, they were showing her 6 year old daughter dressed in a VERY skimpy (would be considered sexy if she were 18 or older) and provocative outfit, shaking her body like Beyonce (she would be considered really good if she was older or a stripper or maybe a pop star) and taking off articles of clothing (gloves, etc).  Is that mom crazy?  How can she say that she doesn't allow something that she clearly does allow.  It was so disturbing. 
Another mom encourages her 5 year old boy to paint his nails, wear lip gloss and to act feminine.  While another is  very clear that her daughter will be in pageants whether she likes it or not.  She said that she had a daughter so she could dress her up and win crowns.  When her daughter won, the mom took ALL the credit.  After all, it was "her routines that won"....she said that...I promise. 
And the little 4 year old who tells her parents what to do and THEY DO IT.  The parents made it clear that their daughter is in charge and that everyone does what she says.  Both parents said that they allow their daughter to do whatever she wants whenever she wants...it's just easier that way.  No, I'm not kidding you or exaggerating! 
I could go on and on.  So why watch a show that makes my skin crawl?  I don't know...maybe it makes me feel sane.  In the shows defense (and in the defense of pageant kids and moms), I have seen episodes (few) where the mom was not pushy and the child really did want to participate and was respectful in all areas.  So there ya go...


On a different TV topic...
Do you have a toddler?  Do you know about Umizoomi?  It is an awesome little show on Nick Jr.  Your kiddos will learn "mighty math powers".  To say that Nate loves this show is an understatement.  He has learned so much!  They take topics like the subway, underground water systems, nutrition, how things work, etc. and show your child the "math" that is involved.  Higher level concepts, broken down and presented to toddlers in a fun and captivating way.  Check it out and get your DVR ready!


So, do you watch much TV?  What do you like to watch? Let me know!!  Do you let your kids watch TV or do you have a TV free house?
There is this one particular blog that I love to read. I was catching up reading her posts the other day and came across one about Summer House Rules. One of the rules was no TV. Ouch! And she really means no TV at all for the entire summer. Come to find out, they rarely watch TV anyways. For a moment I wondered if that makes her a better parent than me. Then I decided that it just makes me different, not inferior. I like TV.  My kids like TV, but do not watch it all day long. They like certain shows and some days the TV is watched more than others (though it seems we aren't often at home).  To each his own on that topic. ;)

2 comments:

Charly said...

Our tv was on today to watch the first soccer game of the world cup, other than that, nothing. We use it lots for music... my kids have spent the better part of the afternoon on target.com making Christmas lists... I know, they're weird! Stacey and I watch tons of tv and have gotten into the habit of watching a movie a night (Currently just finished the Karate Kid series, not sure what's next) but we do it as a family, so that's family time, right?

Anonymous said...

Well, you know without a doubt Glenn loves the T.V. Look what we just bought :-)
Me, You know me...if I can sit still long enough, it is Gray's Anatomy or something that has music that will keep me entertained. Other than that....Music is my thing. It makes me happy, keeps me smiling and is just totally who I am. I love it!
As you say to each his own, but I know for sure Zach learned an awful lot from T.V and Dvd's and now Nathan is so I can't imagine a Mom saying NO T.V. Nutso:-)