Thursday, May 20, 2010

1...2...3...4...5...6.........

There's nothing like thinking your 2 year old has taken to potty training so easily, to only discover that the honeymoon is OVER!  Today for instance, he has wet his pants over and over again all day.  The only time he went in the potty was when were out running errands.  I guess we will be going back to taking him to the restroom every 20 to 30 minutes...no exception!  It is just so frustrating. I feel like I am constantly cleaning up puddles and washing clothes. Not to mention, when he does "make it" to the potty he seems to spray all over the toilet, bathroom floors, walls...you name it and he has "hit" it! 

His behavior has also gone down hill this week...why me???  Nate has been hitting me quite a bit.  And NO, I don't allow it, I don't stand for it, and YES, he is punished.  He is hard headed and very stubborn...the strong willed child.  He usually starts hitting when he is being put into his car-seat.  He wants to get in by himself, which is fine, but he also "wants" to explore anywhere and everywhere in the car before getting in his seat.  And he doesn't like to be told "no"!  So, when he is asked to get into his seat and doesn't comply, I have to "help" him.  That's when he gets sooo ugly.  Deep breath...this too shall pass.

You know, I used to think that Zachary didn't throw fits in public because I wouldn't allow it.  I used to think that he never hit or tried to bite me because I wouldn't allow it.  I used to think that he did what he wad told, because that is what I expected.  Guess I used to think that he did so well because I was a good parent.  Boy has Nate taught me a thing or two. :)   Kids are people too...guess I had forgotten that.  They have their own personalities...some are more likely to rebel, throw fits , question authority and on and on.  Others are more likely to "go with the flow", do what is expected and not ask too many questions.  It is what it is!! 

I think the earlier you "know" your child, the sooner you can begin parenting them in the way that best fits their own individual needs.  So I know Nate is going to challenge me, it is my job to be consistent and to discipline in a way that will teach him what is expected, as well as what he will need to know for the future.  He will rebel, but he will learn what is right and that will one day pay off...right?  

But for today, I'm just breathing deep and counting to ten.  1...2...3...4...5...6.......

Yes...this is a fit!!  You might have even seen this one if you were at the PC Carnival. ;)
Love you Nate!!

1 comment:

Poppy said...

This world needs to let you and Randy teach them to be parents. I could only wish I could be so lucky to have parents that teach tyhe way you do.

Love Ya'll
Poppy