Friday, May 7, 2010

Family Friday

Mother's Day...what makes you happy on Mother's Day?  It can be quite different for each mommy out there.  Some love hand-made cards, others breakfast in bed, a day at the spa, a break from cooking and cleaning, and many moms just want "me time". 

I think what you want or don't want on Mother's Day depends on where you are in the stage of motherhood. If you have a six month old infant that cries 12 hours a day, you want a big, fat break!  If you have a toddler, you want a sweet hand print or two smeared all over a Mother's Day poem.  If your little one has just learned to read and write, you surely want him to make you something. If your angels are off at college, you want them to come home for dinner. And if your kids are grown with their own families, you long to see them, but assure them that it's OK that they can't make it to town this year.

A sweet friend of mine told me one year that she was taking her little girl ice skating for Mother's Day...think about that...how sweet.  She just wanted to spend quality time with her child...I can appreciate that! 
And this year, I want to give each boy some "mommy time".  My quality time with Zachary will be jumping on the trampoline!  I caught a peek at the Mother's Day card he made for me at school.  It was all about me and the things I do and like, etc.  He thought I was only 34 (which is funny since he never forgets how old we are), that I wear a size 13 shoe and play with his little brother during the day.  He noted that my favorite snack is honey buns (it isn't), and that I don't ever jump on the trampoline with him.  :(  How sad!  So, we will be jumping and jumping this weekend! 
For Nate, we will spend time kicking the soccer ball in the backyard while eating M&M's...it can't get any better than that!

My boys have already honored me for Mother's Day!  I know Zachary made me some things at school, and I can't wait to see them!  He also said that I could go shopping at ULTA...guilt free!  Can you believe that?  I went today and...no guilt!!!  Nate decided for Mother's Day he would be potty trained.  I know, what an awesome gift!!  After a few hours Monday afternoon, he had it down.  No accidents (yet), not even in public.  He is so proud of himself and so am I.  Now we have to work on #2, but I couldn't be happier with his progress.  I never thought my more difficult child (don't ever tell him I said that) would practically potty train himself.  Way to go BIG Nate!

Well, my cup is full this Mother's Day, though I will miss seeing my own mom.  I love you MOM.  But don't worry, I'm sure you will see your other 2 kids this weekend...after all, I'm just the middle child!!!!  (wink, wink) 

Happy Mother's Day to all of you!  And I hope you get what you want on Sunday...you deserve it!  Be a little selfish; it doesn't happen that often!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish for you a beautiful Mother's Day, jumping, jumping, jumping :-)
Love you,
Tina

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your jumping and M&M's...you deserve it! I'm so excited for the first of many for me! - Ann

Anonymous said...

How funny our lives are! I'm just reading your post, not knowing your plans for Mother's Day...
I jumped on the trampoline and ate m&ms with Will! Emma and I had our moment just before bed time watching Food Network. :)

You are such a beautiful mommy and I'm so proud to call you friend.

Love,
Shel